Skip to Content

When Faced With Water and Mold Damages ...

Printer-friendly version

 

On behalf of Clorox®

The devastating flooding from the Mississippi River and its tributaries has left parts of Missouri in unsettling conditions, with tons of excess debris to be removed and harmful toxins and sewage in the water. Additionally, the east coast and State of Kentucky experienced major water damages from the great snow storm of January, 2016.  At times like these, water becomes flooded with industrial pollution and homes and buildings can see significant water damage. These are simple and safe solutions that can help to prevent them from further harm – such as using bleach for water purification and mold or mildew prevention after flooding.

 


After a natural disaster – like a major flood – water may not be safe to drink and mold and mildew can quickly start to spread in homes and areas that have faced water damage. In these cases, a few drops of un-scented disinfecting bleach, such as Clorox, can be used to purify water, clean-up, disinfect hard surfaces and prevent mold and mildew. For more than 30 years, Clorox has worked with the Red Cross to donate bleach for recovery efforts following national disasters.

Below are step-by-step instructions on how to use bleach as a simple and safe solution for water purification and mold/mildew removal.

Removing Mold and Mildew at Home:

· To remove mold and mildew at home, you can use Clorox® Regular Bleach1 on hard non porous surfaces and items.

o Disinfect all cleaned surfaces with a 10% bleach solution.

o Let the solution stay on the surface for at least 10 minutes before rinsing with clear water or allowing to dry.

o Routinely check potential problem spots (e.g. Bathroom, laundry, mechanical room, etc.) for moldy odors, and disinfect often with a 10% solution of bleach – 11/4-11/2 cup bleach to a gallon water.

Disinfecting Water at Home:

· When boiling off water for 1 minute is not practical, you can use Clorox® Regular Bleach for emergency water disinfection at home. All water of uncertain quality should be treated before it is used for drinking, food preparation, or hygiene:

o Remove suspended particles by filtering or letting particles settle to the bottom.

o Pour off clear water into a clean container.

o Add 12 drops (1/8 teaspoon) of Clorox® Bleach (not scented or Clorox® Plus® bleaches) to two gallons of water (2 drops to 1 quart). For cloudy water, use 24 drops per two gallons of water (3 drops to 1 quart).

o Let treated water stand for 30 minutes. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat and wait another 15 minutes. The treated water can then be made palatable by pouring it between clean containers several times.